View Single Post
Old February 21, 2009, 09:52 PM   #16
Jekyll

Agree with Kraig. Using the same weight and velocities, the .270 will rule the 06 but, you must also use the same bullet design. A 150 grain flat base round nose out of a .270 might not out shoot a 150 grain spitzer boat tail or a boat tail hollow point from an 06 as these will have different ballistic coefficients (I'm not going to pull out charts to verify this but you may if you desire). BC does favor the narrower bullet at equal weight but the overall design and aerodynamics must be considered as well. It is very difficult to compare different calibers this way because you really need to do a bunch of chart work to make sure you capture the "apples and oranges" issues.

Rifles that shoot sub MOA at 100 yards will shoot sub MOA at 1000 yards if the cartridge is appropriate (not counting wind here). Thin and wispy is a heat management issue like Kraig said to ensure consistent muzzle exit in the vibration cycle. I have a 6 pound Rem 700 Stainless composite .270 that shoots .4 MOA with hand loads of 150 Nosler Partition near max pressure. Nobody can say this rifle is not capable of stellar 1000 yard performance. The rifle is technically capable of 4 inch groups at 1000 however; it would require a long period of time between shots to allow the barrel to cool. I prize it for superb 1st round accuracy and its compact size and light weight. My rifle is pure, out-of-the-box stock with a 3X9 Leupold VXIII. No bedding, nada. Just careful hand load preparation and good shooting. I've cleanly taken a 400 yard, 1-shot kill on mule deer with this.

Last edited by Jekyll; February 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries