View Single Post
Old March 5, 2011, 08:58 AM   #44
whiskey

I am glad I wore my boot into this thread.

First, the 20ga is plenty for turkey. Same as .243 is plenty for deer. You do not have the range of a 12, but that doesn't mean you can't kill turkey with it. There are lots of guys and gals that turkey hunt with 20ga guns. I have the same youth 20ga NEF single shot and the fact is, you have to pattern your gun. Hevi Shot makes some 3" Magnum blend loads that should give you good results. Try some duck hunting loads too. Anything #5 or #6 should do her well. You probably need to keep her shots at 30 yards or less to be safe. My daughter uses a Mossberg 20ga pump with a turkey choke and I make her keep her shots within 30 yards. It ain't that hard to get turkeys within 30 yards of you. Just like with archery hunting for deer, you have to be a better hunter and get the game closer. Usually it just takes being a more patient hunter.

It is going to kick. Do not be mistaken. That little gun is a handful for my 12 year old with field loads. However, you can let her practice with bird shot, and then she won't notice when she is shooting a turkey.

Page generated in 0.03763 seconds with 8 queries