View Single Post
Old July 15, 2010, 05:57 PM   #76
tipoc

Quote:
Read carefully the first sentance in the quoted part, the animals were already shot or sick and suffering. He didnt hunt them with the gun.
Ah! but I did read it carefully. He argued that the .22 was an effective round for self defense because he was able to kill a wounded elk with it by shooting it in the head. Several others have argued that the .22 is an effective round for self defense because they could walk up to a cow and shoot it in the head and the cows died. Others have argued that the .22 is an effective round for self defense because a friend or relative was accidentally shot with a .22 and died as a result. None of these things have any bearing though on whether the gun is as effective as other choices for self defense.

By the way a good many people have hunted deer and even bear with a .22l.r. at close range and with one well placed shot to the head or spine the .22 can take game. But beyond short distances and with anything other than head shots it becomes a poor tool for hunting anything but small game. Other rounds will be more useful.

No one here has argued that the .22 is something that can be "nonchalantly dismissed", least of all me. I have argued that it is a very dangerous round and I indicated why I thought so earlier. But for self defense, it is a poor choice. Unless you have no other option.

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; July 15, 2010 at 06:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.03129 seconds with 8 queries