View Single Post
Old August 25, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Mello2u

The NRA has a course called Personal Protection in the Home. You might consider taking that.
This book is provided with the course.

Quote:
Posted by Kayla:
Seems like near term goals are:
- improve accuracy
- learn something about shooting while moving or with targets that are moving
- learn to draw from a holster
- drill on tap, rack, ready (am told tap, rack, bang is outdated)
Those four goals sound reasonable.

One goal in defensive pistol shooting is balancing speed and accuracy. If you are getting groups that are under 4 or 5 inches shoot faster. If your groups are larger than 8 inches slow down. If your groups are between 5 and 8 inches you are balanced.

To push your self in shooting and to add a bit of stress, buy a shot timer. You can set the timer to give you a random start time. It will record all of your shots so you can see how you are doing. I found that when I was practicing to go faster I was mistaken about how long the time was between shots sometimes because I was focusing on some different aspect of shooting.

Shooting moving targets can be enlightening. You might be surprised how much you have to lead a target moving at 10 mph that is only 10 feet away moving perpendicular to you. Since you shoot a relatively fast moving 9mm bullet the lead will be less than for a relatively slow moving 230gr 45acp. bullet.

I suggest saving the challenge of shooting while moving for the last of your four listed goals as it is the most difficult. Have you had any instruction in how to move your feet while moving and shooting? It is a peculiar "dance step"; sort of like how Groucho Marx moved in the movies.
" Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.02780 seconds with 8 queries