View Single Post
Old August 15, 2007, 08:21 PM   #21
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

This may sound contradictory.

I have a 1928 Thompson which I very much enjoy owning. I shoot it in submachine gun matches. That said, I'm not too sure I'd want to carry one in a situation where I'd have any probability of needing to use it. I say this, not only as concerns MY personal, rather valuable, gun, but it would apply equally to a beat-up old M1A1 I picked up for under $1,000.

This entry is largely an expansion on the one by Jim Keenan, whith whom I agree.

The Thompson is (was) a first-generation SMG. Later designs are (were) lighter and shorter, and, arguably, easier to use.

The TSMG is heavy. The ammo is heavy. It is long and cumbersome to use inside a vehicle, unless the stock is removed. Then you have a separate piece which should be attached before use.

From what I think I understand of your situation - - -

If the M3A1 "Grease Gun" mentioned aboveis easily available, with sufficient magazines and spare parts, I'd tend to want one of those. Only drawback I can see is that the magazines are HEAVY - - But they are very sturdy.

Otherwise, I might very well opt for a short barrel, folding stock AK model, especially when they are economically priced. There may be times you'd prefer to keep it out of sight. The MP5 is very nice, if the 9mm cartridge is acceptable. Others I'd use are the British Stirling and the M45 Swedish "K" SMG. I'd want to make sure, whatever I chose, that magazines and ammo were plentiful.

Really, a standard M4 would be nice to have - - recent production and, usually, plenty of mags.

No one's even mentioned the difficulty of effective use of an SMG in a defensive situation. Training and practice are mandatory. Otherwise, SMGs are just good noisemakers. The instant massive suppression fire is not needed, the selector should be placed on "SEMI."

Best of luck to you.
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03984 seconds with 8 queries