View Single Post
Old August 19, 2002, 12:03 AM   #13
Gewehr98

It's a No1MkIII*, albeit sporterized.

Notice no magazine cutoff. That's one big change they did from the No1MkIII to the No1MkIII*. No windage-adjustable rear sight blade, or volley sights on the sporterized stock, either. As for the early-style cocking piece, it was common as the guns traveled through FTR (Factory Thorough Repair, like the American arsenal rebuild) to wind up with the wide cocking piece. Dispersal rifles built closer to WWII also wound up with a variety of parts. I've got a 1917 Enfield Lock No1MkIII* with the wide cocking piece.

The later EAL and Enforcer rifles were based upon the No4Mk1 action, with it's rear peep sight aft of the receiver bridge.

From the pictures, it wouldn't be too hard to restore the old girl back to full military configuration. The barrel is uncut, with the original sights. I just sent a friend with the same sporterized SMLE some nice wood furniture and a nosecap. I still have a spare brass buttplate that I'd be happy to send you if you choose to restore her back to the same condition that it was issued to Thomas Atkins...

This Australian Lithgow No1MkIII* SMLE came to me as a barreled action:

Neural Misfires

Last edited by Gewehr98; August 19, 2002 at 09:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02583 seconds with 8 queries