View Single Post
Old November 12, 1999, 08:53 AM   #6
Rosco Benson

In general, if there's enough light to identify your target, there will be enough light to use the conventional scope. If there isn't enough light to I.D. your target, then you are going to have to light him up with a weapon-mounted "white" light or a separate flashlight.

Another thing about red-dot sights that I don't like is that the user must turn them "on" before action. This obliges the user to add yet another thing to think about in a stressful situation. It amazes me that no red-dot manufacturer has incorporated a pressure switch that can be placed so as to permit the user to turn on the unit with his hands in their firing positions.

In spite of them incorporating a pressure switch, I am unenthusiatic about lasers. It is slower to attempt to see the projected dot on target than it is to get a conventional sight picture. I think that the much-touted "intimidation" factor is highly exaggerated...at least as it applies to people who you might actually NEED to shoot (if they pose an immediate deadly threat, they probably won't even see the dot on them as they'll be focused on trying to kill YOU. If they're able to notice and comprehend the dot on them, then they're probably not posing an immediate deadly threat...so why are you pointing a rifle at them? The oft-cited scenario for the dot's power to intimidate is its use by tower guards to frighten rowdy inmates in a prison yard. Not exactly a typical situation.)

Remember too, if there is smoke, dust, fog, or similar in the air, using the laser pinpoints your own location.

I actually have seen one good use for the laser (particularly one mounted on a pistol). It makes a dandy training aid for new shooters. Nothing illustrates the need for proper trigger control quite so well as the student seeing his laser's dot perfectly on target, only to see it jump away and his bullet miss its mark when he crunches on the trigger. I am also told that they make a fine cat toy.

I, too, hope some other chime in. I sure don't have the market cornered on ideas on this subject.

Rosco

Page generated in 0.02064 seconds with 8 queries