View Single Post
Old November 18, 1999, 12:11 PM   #5
bergie

Yeah, my season is over too. I ended it just after 12:30 on the opening day. It is nice to have the venison at the locker plant that quick, but damn, I wish I could still be huntin. Record high temps have been makin it pretty tough for the guys around here, the deer are keeping in the shade and thick cover during the day. I got lucky, some other guys were pushing a big grove off to the south of where I was and this buck kind of doubled-back, came out behind them, going full throttle across about 1/2 of a mile of absolutely flat wide open hay meadow. It had to cross a fence and about another 1/4 mile to get to the next shelterbelt when I popped it with my .270 Savage110 quartering away at about a hundred yards down the fenceline. One shot rolled it, and it stayed down. I don't really like to shoot at a deer that is running all out, but I have shot a few coyotes on the move, so I waited until I had what I felt was the best possible chance at the shortest range and took it. Anyway, I got a nice 2 1/2 year old nontypical 5x6 whitetail.
Now I wait for cold weather and blackpowder season.
Bergie

Page generated in 0.03589 seconds with 8 queries