View Single Post
Old September 14, 2009, 03:32 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

If either the Model 1917 or the Model 1903 was "last ditch", that was a pretty good ditch.

The fact is that those Japanese Type 99 "last ditch" rifles (tacked on buttplate, cylindrical bolt knob, uncheckered safety, single range peep sight) are safe to fire. The receivers are forged and the barrels are good. I have one that has fired close to MOA with Norma ammunition, hardly the "junk" people usually call them.

I also have three Japanese training rifles, reasonably well made and perfect for training. I am even a bit skeptical about those blowing up if fired with live ammo. First, they were made only for the 6.5, not the 7.7. And the bore is much larger than the bullet, so pressure would be nearly non-existent. I still strongly advise never to fire one with a bulleted round, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually SEEN one that blew up. (No, I don't mean what someone said that someone told your friend's cousin's brother-in-law's sister's aunt. I mean actually SEEING a training rifle that blew up.)

And no, for the reasons stated, there were no real "last ditch" rifles in WWI.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02835 seconds with 8 queries