View Single Post
Old January 29, 2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It seems to me that what you describe is relatively rare. Far more often, what I see is that the "requirements" for each animal are at least a full power level, and usually a couple, higher than are required.

For example, yes, there are folks who say a .243 will kill every deer walking but practically bounces off elk but there are a lot more who think you can't barely kill deer with a .243. I've even seen claims that a .308Win is a "300 yard deer gun".

Besides this forum, I know guys personally who won't hunt deer with anything less than a 30 cal and prefer even that to be a magnum.

So, I agree that what you're complaining about is stupid but I feel like it's the minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Old Stoney, you are spot on!!! I call most of the "expert" advice on here R&R Advice.....Read and Regurgitate. Most of the "experts" gained their knowledge from the other "experts" on here. I shot major competitions for many years and did very well at it. I can't figure out where these guys do all their remarkable shooting, I never saw them. Groups sub .5moa "all day long"? Way too many of them making that claim. A few, a rare few, maybe. Just too many on here to believe. Oh well, it's the internet. Keyboard groups and keyboard deer, bear, and elk too. About ten percent of the advice on here is good and the rest is all over the map.

On the other hand, there's a great many folks who HEAVILY over value "personal experience" and completely ignore the combined knowledge of others. As in, I shot a deer with X and never found it. I *know* the shot was perfect! Therefore X is a poor deer cartridge and I'll never use it again and you shouldn't either.

Years of experience is one thing, even though still rarely statistically relevant when we're talking about hunting, but most of these kinds of comments are focused on singular incidents which hold no relevance at all.

The folks who want to talk 1/2 MOA all day groups usually don't understand statistics but the folks who argue "I did this 3, 4, 5 times...." are really making the exact same claims. I did it 5 times so it is the expected result, same fallacy whether holes in paper or shooting animals.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries