View Single Post
Old September 8, 2011, 09:03 AM   #88
Terminus009

Consequences

Thank you Mleake. I agree totally with your underlying philosophy. We are Americans and one thing that makes America the best place in the world to live is our right to succeed or fail and live with the consequences.

I lived in Canada for several years and was forced to endure what is euphemistically called "compliance checks." That is an action whereby police can (and do) stop people walking on sidewalks and really DO ask "ID please." They are checking for wants and warrants simply because (in my case I asked) one is wearing a Harley jacket outside at 3am.

I say live and let live and if a student gets unruly at a dance kick him or her out, maybe call the parents to pick up their kid, regardless of whether they were unruly due to booze or any other factor. Teach the ethic of consequence rather than mindless compliance with authority.

Our 2A came about specifically to resist authority gone bad. So did the 1st Amendment.

Better that kids learn about consequences than learn subservience.
----- In Justice Robert H. Jackson's memorable words, "If there is any fixed star in our constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

Page generated in 0.03316 seconds with 8 queries