View Single Post
Old November 24, 2012, 01:26 AM   #16
Sevens

I can't explain anything and I have no theories at this point, but I've got additional data for the subject.

My Coonan Classic is by far the most erratic brass chucker I've yet owned. Distance seems to be within a rational "circle", but I do mean circle. This pistol seems to have a 360-degree kill-zone where it will fling brass.

The only thing I've ever fed it has been handloads, and I take extreme care when I build the handloads.

I separate all my brass by headstamp, I have a very repeatable mouth flare that doesn't vary whatsoever along the line in my ammo. I buy my bullets in lots of at least a thousand and I've got a very careful routine when metering powder, which is bought 4 or 8 lbs at a time. Final crimp is done with care and the entire process from start to finish is executed with the idea that I'm doing every single one of the rounds as closely as I possibly can to all the rest. Some loads chrono more consistently than others, but I've had a couple loads return SD's in single digits. I run THOSE loads through it again, just to be sure, and it does it again.

The goal (and hope!) is that the ammo is not a variable when I'm on the firing line.

Bottom line is that regardless of how detail oriented I am with the ammo, the pistol runs all of the time, doesn't give feed, firing or extraction/ejection failures, but if there is some formula to make it eject brass consistently, I've got NO IDEA what's in that formula.

But I can pretty much be sure that in the case of my pistol -- it's not the ammo.

Page generated in 0.03139 seconds with 8 queries