View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 10:32 PM   #16
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Military sniper ammo is hand made to the SPECIFIC GUN tested and retested till they can shoot 2 inches at 1000 yards. No sense spending all that money on their training and equipment and giving them crap ammo to shoot.
No, it's not. I handled ammo for the SOTIC committee in the SFG I was in, among other responsibilities, and the above quote is just wholly inaccurate and wrong. Kraigwy provided a good overview of how it really works, with M118LR being the workhorse round for sniping these days (augmented by 5.56mm, .50 cal, and 300 Win Mag stuff). I never, ever, ever saw one single round of hand loaded stuff issued for training or part of anyone's go to war load.

And of course they wouldn't -- it's simply not logistically feasible for any sort of serious initial or sustainment training on sniping skills even without any consideration of battlefield usage. I can tell you that production has been strained just about to the limit getting enough factory production sniper ammo out there to support training and combat operations. There's no way whatsoever that handloads developed for specific long guns would be remotely sustainable.

Last edited by HorseSoldier; January 28, 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries