View Single Post
Old November 22, 2010, 11:05 PM   #61
TenRing

This discussion is interesting and it highlights a key point about human nature. Some people feel it necessary to have the "latest technology" always at their disposal. Before rails were common on handguns, people learned to use ambient light, handheld lights and even muzzle flash to provide aiming light. I think we should still focus on these light sources and regard the pistol mounted light as a novelty that could be useful if we actually have time to deploy it in a self defense situation.

I prefer the handheld light mainly because I own handheld lights that are many times brighter and longer lasting than anything that can be mounted on a pistol rail. The handheld light can be aimed right into an intruder's eyes as an effective nonlethal deterrent to further approach. A Maglite with LED conversion is heavy enough to use as a club while being bright enough to temporarily blind an intruder at a sufficiently long distance to keep the intruder at bay. The C or D batteries last much longer than CR123 batteries that are common in pistol lights. Also, I can aim the Maglite in one direction while pointing the pistol in another direction, allowing me the potential to disguise my position from an intruder.

Pistol lights add to the handgun maintenence issues. If you train with the pistol light, are you sure that you won't be thrown for a loop if you discover that the pistol light has malfunctioned in the moment of truth?

When it comes to defensive training, I think the simpler, the better. I don't want any extra switches, batteries or gadgets on my gun. To each his own.

Technology is not always what we need. Basically, you need a gun and ammo combination that is as reliable as you can find and you need access to a separate flashlight. Then you need good, solid no-frills pistol training. If you find that the batteries are weak or the Maglite is malfunctioning, then put it in your back pocket and use it as a club if necessary.

Page generated in 0.03813 seconds with 8 queries