Thread: Am i weird?
View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
coachteet

There are lots of people who aren't "gun people" who aren't knee-jerk anti-gunners. Maybe telling them that you spoon with your revolver at night might come off as weird... I find the best way to ease people into the world of firearms is the idea of having a gun for home protection. I use the fire analogy:

Q: Do you keep a gun by your bed?
A: Yes.
Q: LOL you sleep with a gun?! Why?
A: Just in case.
Q: In case what?
A: Do you think your home is going to burn down tomorrow?
Q: What? No...
A: Why do you own a fire extinguisher?
Q: Well, if there was ever a fire...
A: Right. It is unlikely that your home is going to catch on fire, but you keep a fire extinguisher just in case. Because homes do catch on fire. It is unlikely that my home will be invaded by someone intent on doing me or my family harm, but these things do happen sometimes. My family means everything to me, so I would never forgive myself if someone broke into my home and harmed my loved ones and I didn't take the responsibility to have the means with which to protect them, just because I didn't think the scenario was likely to happen.

Most people are sensible. If you put it that way, it's hard to argue with. It's an easy segue from there into asking the person if they have ever fired a gun. If they haven't, offer to take them to the gun range. There is little that we can do for RKBA that is more effective than introducing novices to the world of responsible gun ownership and usage.

Page generated in 0.02150 seconds with 8 queries