View Single Post
Old October 10, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
HiBC

The nature of antelope hunting is you will see animals 1000,1200,1500 yds away.

Watch them .Learn about antelope.Enjoy!They are social,and,they do move over the course of the day.

The ones you can see,consider as seed.Decoys.Stalk if you want,or be patient.Use low ground to get closer.

But don't run them off.Be patient.

After opening morning,the herds will be scattered,bucks will be running around gathering does,bucks down in the peck order will pick up a few does,small groups will see larger groups,there will be movement if they feel safe enough.

What is a problem is the guys in the pickup that say"Hey,there is some,lets get them!" and they jump in the pickup and drive ,figuring the antelope will stand there as they jump out and blaze away.

Those morons run all the antelope off 5 sections of land in a half day,and,without seed antelope,no decoys,hmmm,the antelope notice its not safe over there.They will be gone for days.

If you make a clean shot at a reasonable range,dress it and leave,they seem to recover fairly soon,but,if someone makes a bad shot and the animal must be followed up on...That makes a drama ,and its no fun.

Know something about wind.A rough rule of thumb for a 30-06 class rifle,10 mph wind at 90 deg subtract one from the range in hundreds(400 becomes 300),and that will give you an idea of the MOA correction.So,9 in at 400.

But,don't count on that rule,study charts for your load.

I used a copy of a 1903A4 to get my buck last weekend.It has a 2.5 x scope on it with a 4 moa post .

Standing up,I put on my sling,and rested over a gate post.He was 297 yds.

I hit good for elevation,but would have preferred 2 or 3 in further forward .I hit the 5th rib nearside,second rib farside.

Bipod or not,shoot when you are sure.

Antelope hunting,for some folks,becomes "poke and hope" just because they see an animal.

Get the hide off quick,get them cooled out and refrigerated ASAP.Don't spill the bladder.Antelope are fine eating.Take a couple cups of stew meat size trimmings from the shoulder area,shake them in flour,and just brown them in butter,Garlic or Lawry's if you like.Thats it.Just try it,soon after you shoot it.

I don't know you,maybe ypu did not need the long post,but,you said it was your first antelope.I don't know how many I've taken,but I've hunted them 45 years.

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries