View Single Post
Old January 4, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
paddywhacked777

Update: After some work with some precision tools i found that the pin was threaded and that the piece of metal wedged in the head was the remnants of some kind of key arm. Got the pin out and got the barrel separated from the receiver. After doing some work with rem oil and 0000 steel wool, the barrel revealed some stamped writing under the rust that says -Fine Twist-. Receiver hasn't revealed anything yet. Still working on it though. Did some research and it might be a Harrington and Richardson. No indication as to a year on it and i would love to be able to cross reference the serial number somewhere. The pics i've found online don't look the same, though. I'm a bit concerned with that. Any additional info would be amazing. If anyone knows anything, please help a fella out.

Edit: After some research i have found two things. First, fine twist refers to the barrel making process (sometimes referred to as damascus barrels), where a steel band is coiled and forge welded to make a pipe shape. This results in a lower pressure threshold for the barrel. Second i am nearly positive that it is a Forehand Arms (later to become Harrington and Richardson). Crossed referenced some photos and it's a ringer. Not worth much and more than likely won't be a shooter. Perhaps with some low pressure loads. Probably still worth the resto to have done it. Would like to get a range of dates for the serial numbers, so i can figure out the year it was made. If anyone knows where i could find them, i would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by paddywhacked777; January 4, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.02026 seconds with 8 queries