View Single Post
Old December 7, 2010, 05:16 PM   #7
snuffy

Poodle, where in a slug do you see air spaces? It's a solid, it can't compress.

A shot charge is in constant motion from the time the primer pops, till it stops at the target. It HAS to change shape and shorten when it begins it's journey from the shell, into the chamber, then into the forcing cone and then the cylinder portion of the barrel. Then it encounters the choke, it has to compress again to reflect the degree of choke restriction the barrel or interchangeable choke tube has.

If you load shotshells, look at a shell that has the required weight of shot in the wad, BEFORE it's crimped. Then fire that shell, pick up the fired wad. You'll notice the shot was up to the top of the wad in the uncrimped shell. BUT the shot is only touching the wad about ΒΌ inch down from the top. It compresses down when under acceleration, like it was a fluid.

Slugs can't/won't do that. So the pressure is higher, no give to the payload.

Shotshell reloading is very unforgiving. Shotguns are made much lighter in construction, and operate at much lower pressures. Small changes in powder and primers can easily exceed the narrow safety window. Follow the recipe exactly. Substitute one component, pay the price!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02217 seconds with 8 queries