View Single Post
Old April 1, 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Raider2000

Well bud, if you have any parts like you mentioned then by all means go for it, or start like I did "with my Grandfather" harden some 1/2" or bigger bolts till you get the hang of it.

The Kasenit is great for parts that you want the hardening but am not too worried about the nice colors of CCH, hence why I usually do this method on areas like the sear of the hammer, tip of the trigger, & tip of the hammer where it is fast, it works but the result is mostly in a greyous color.

With that, a basic plumbers propane torch "for small parts like the sear area of the hammer" is the perfect heat source, once it gets red hot but even across the area that you want case hardened, just place the part into the Kasenit to cover it totally, then pick the part back up "of corse with pliers" & reheat it for a few more seconds at that red hot condition, then quench it in cold water.
The part will have a .005-ish layer of hardened steel where the underlaying steel will still be softer to act like a shock absorber to the tempered part.

The better method is more involved & takes a little more time to perfect but it can "with the use of Bone &/or Leather as the carbon source" produce the beautiful Color Case Hardening that looks great but also has the same effect of case herdening.

Page generated in 0.03798 seconds with 8 queries