View Single Post
Old October 17, 1999, 12:39 AM   #27
Swissrose

Pipper-
If you would like to start your wife on a shotgun, I would recommend the Winchester 1300 Lady Defender, 20 ga, with an 18" barrel. I am a woman, 5'6" and small build, and I love this gun! For you it may be too small, I think, having heard guys at the range refer to it as a "baby gun". For small women, however, it is perfect. I am practicing with it very often, with light loads, such as # 8 and #6 birdshot, and the recoil is minimal. Your wife may also want to shorten the stock, as I did (by 2 inches). My instructor and friends tell me that these light loads may not do sufficient damage for self-defense purposes, so I did buy some #2 buck and even a few slugs which I will try next. But my purpose was to get comfortable with my gun and I am getting there. If the heavy shells hurt me too much I'll stick with the light loads. BTW, I much prefer my shotgun to the revolvers (38 special)I shot, it seems easier on my system and my hands and joints don't hurt. I am really still new to shotguns but since you are concerned about your wife, I figured I contribute my little bit of experience!

Page generated in 0.02874 seconds with 8 queries