View Single Post
Old December 28, 2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Stargazer

Unclenick, thanks for the serious post on my original question. I was the OP here and the video shown was impressive to me. I had seen over the past few years were bullet makers had started to add "hard" polymer tips to their bullet noses for nose protection mainly. Then it seems Hornady used a more flexible polymer to make the Leverevolution rounds and noticed the more flexible tip actually helped open the HP more consistently. Then the Critical defense bullets came out with flexible polymer they said acted like a fluid medium to open up the HP even if it were clothes pushing it in and not actually fluid/tissue.

But as you say and they did too, the cavity and the polymer were made for each other so to speak to work together for reliable expansion no matter what is pushing on the polymer.

I just had the thought that perhaps silicone, after it is dry, acts similar to the flexible polymer that they used in the Leverevolution rounds. It's pretty flexible compared to the early hunting bullet polymer tips. The silicone may not help at all but then again if it is trapped inside the HP cavity it may act as a fluid and help open the petals more reliably.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try it out to see if it makes any difference. Wet Phonebooks behind some old clothes might show whether or not the silicone makes a difference or not.

Yes jibjab, this polymer technology does seem to have been born with hunting bullets and more reliable expansion from them.

M70 Web Page

Page generated in 0.03070 seconds with 8 queries