View Single Post
Old August 22, 2011, 11:01 AM   #30
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
Why not make it belt fed?
For several reasons Hawg.

1. Belt fed has already been done since the days of the crankfired Bailey gun (which was the very first belt fed gun) and some later belt fed versions of the still crank fired Gatlings as well as a later belt fed version of the Gardner gun.

Crankfired Bailey gun. First belt fed gun in history.....

Bailey gun feed mechanism....

Bailey gun cartridge belt. Look carefully at this and the above pic. The holders for the cartridges on the belt actually doubled as strong pressure holding chamber supports for the cartridges and were inserted into the barrel's chamber along with the cartridges!

A pic of a rare, belt fed version of the normally hopper fed Gardner twin barrel crankfired gun that was known as "The Robertson"...but it's still a Gardner. You see the drum holder for the belt but the belt appears missing from the picture. Gardner's were single and twin and even five barreled versions. Sometimes the twin barrel version was watercooled. The first waterjacket cooled gun in history. This is a pic of an air cooled twin barrel belt fed model. Pretty rare version. Not too many Gardners made in belt feed.

2. If I made my design idea belt fed it would be a cartridge fed FIREARM instead of a non firearm muzzleloader and would fall under the NFA. Even the Union Auger coffee mill gun would be viewed by the BATFE today as a cartridge gun even though it is crankfired. As a crankfired gun, the Auger is not a machinegun but it is a firearm since it uses a self contained cartridge. Because it used a steel charger with a percussion cap inserted in its end. An early version of a self contained cartridge....ergo a cartridge gun....ergo A FIREARM under the National Firearms Act (NFA). I want to stay away from that and keep it a muzzleloading harmonica block fed NON firearm weapon. No mistaking that for a cartridge FIREARM. There is a provision in the NFA exempting certain cartridge guns if their cartridges are obsolete and not normally in commercial manufacture, but a case COULD be made by the ATF as to what the word "normally" means. And a liberal judge that knows next to nothing about firearms and doesn't care what the congressional NFA says (don't get me started ) might be inclined to agree with them. So staying with a muzzleloader if one is even thinking of making a full auto version or even a semi-auto for that matter, since by being a muzzleloader it cannot be classified as a firearm under the NFA.....is the safest way to go.

3. If I made it belt fed and it was a cartridge fed FIREARM, then I couldn't make it full auto like I could if it remained a NON firearm muzzleloader.

4. The whole idea is to keep it a Victorian style muzzleloading harmonica gun design that could have been and had the unrealized possibilities of being a semi or full auto, but never was....until now. Chiefly because standard black powder is too fouling. But modern black powder substitutes get around that fouling problem for the most part. Part of the fun is putting yourself in the time of the percussion only era designers (only with the advantage of available non fouling black powder substitutes) just as we do in our standard muzzleloading shooting today.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 25, 2011 at 04:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.03755 seconds with 8 queries