View Single Post
Old December 19, 2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
I like the whole idea of starting slow and working that to perfection before continually picking it up. Push the envelope in training until things start to get sloppy then come back to where they aren't. I like what an earlier poster (Chileverde 1) said about disregarding the need for speed being an incorrect attitude.
The reason I concentrate on accuracy, and not speed, in training, is that doing it right leads to both accuracy and speed. Trying to push yourself in terms of speed, inevitably leads to poor accuracy and if done frequently enough, will build in bad habits.

Quote:
My point is unless you view all other persons as an immediate threat and you hold the handgun in your hand during these chance contacts with strangers, you may very well be reacting to their action.
Again, just from what I've seen in Force-on-Force training, the sticking point for most people isn't the speed of their draw; but the speed at which they recognize they are in a life-or-death fight. And considering that we are in Force-on-Force where people pretty much know that is the point of the whole exercise, I can't imagine what it must be like for officers who have to face that situation in real life. Either way though, my point is that draw speed is rarely the sticking point in the OODA loop.

To give an example, we had a video on here not too long ago where a guy who was open carrying got into a gunfight. On video, you can't see ANY reaction from this guy until after he has been shot, and even then, it never occurs to him once during the whole incident to put his hand on his pistol. He may have been faster than Jelly Bryce for all I know; but it didn't help him much.

Page generated in 0.02650 seconds with 8 queries