Thread: 454 reloading
View Single Post
Old March 26, 2008, 06:48 AM   #1
4orty5ive

454 reloading

I have a super redhawk alaskan, and I am just about to start reloading my own ammunition. Besides all the obvious research that I will be doing before I actually start (for safety), I had one question that I was really interested in above all others.

Would it be possible to use 45LC reloading data and use a 454 brass case? I like to shoot 45LC out of the gun but it is filthy (the very slight gap in the cylinder from the thinner brass allows the inside to become coated, making it impossible to remove any 454 fired afterwards).

The only thing I can think of is that the 454 uses a rifle primer, so I don't know how that would affect the 45LC loads.

I'm also hoping that the thicker brass with less pressure will allow me to use the brass longer than the standard 45LC cases.

I suppose I could always just use weaker loads of 454, but the bullets are more expensive.

If any of what I am saying is contradictive or stupid, sorry, I'm total noob status I have the equipment but I still have alot of reading and research before I start.

Page generated in 0.03916 seconds with 8 queries