View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 06:51 AM   #24
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country
I'm siding with Geetarman. I don't ignore shot groups. To not shoot groups or ignore groups is ridiculous. If you don't even occasionally shoot groups, how in the world will any decent hunter know where the rifle is shooting
Oh, I shoot groups occasionally, normally during this time of year. It gives me something to do on these long summer days when it's too danged hot to go to the hunting lease. One habit I've gotten into, (from one of the gun writers, I forget who. Mighta been Grits Gresham) is what I call the One Shot Group. Normally, in late June or early July, I'll settle on the whitetail load and rifle I'm going to use for the upcoming season. Then, when I go to the range, I'll take that rifle and one round of ammo. (There will be other firearms for recreation). Then, I'll post a target and fire that one round. All I'm interested in is that cold-bore shot. Then, when I get home, I'll start building a composite target and over the course of several one-shot groups, I'll plot those shots on a target. After six or seven range trips I'll have that rifle tweaked to the point where I know exactly where that first shot is going.

I've got one composite target with over 50 shots on it. Surprisingly that rifle throws everything from 60 grain varmint bullets to 107 grain deer bullets into a 3" circle.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries