View Single Post
Old January 22, 2013, 11:51 AM   #15
schmellba99

I'd go with a touch faster burning powder, and do what Mr. Pfleuger above said - completely disregard the cannelure on the projectile.

You are currently sitting roughly .006" off the lands (just doing simple math based on your COL's above) - that's a fairly long jump that in my experience doesn't tend to lead to great accuracy.

I'm assuming you have done a ladder test already to determine your optimal powder charge, so from that point I'd load up batches of 5 rounds each with various seating depths and the optimal powder charge and shoot groups to see what your rifle likes best.

Group #1: .005" off lands
Group #2: .004" off lands
Group #3: .003" off lands
Group #4: .002" off lands
Group #5: .001" off lands
Group #6: no jump (seated where the ogive is just touching the lands)
Group #7: .001" into the lands
Group #8: .002" into the lands

Start with group #1 and shoot a 5 shot group. Let the barrel cool, clean the barrel so that you are starting with the same amount (as close as you can get anyway) of fouling before shooting group #2. Wash, rinse and repeat with all the other groups.

Check for pressure signs - especially as you approach touching the lands. Most rifles seem to prefer a short jump, but there are some that don't want any at all. Always inspect your brass after each shot for the classic pressure signs and stop at the first sign of them. If you still can't get acceptable groupings, you may need to look at different projectiles. Typically 100 grains is on the upper limit of most .243 barrel twists. I've had much better luck dropping to the 95 grain pills with mine.

Page generated in 0.02219 seconds with 8 queries