View Single Post
Old January 17, 2012, 03:12 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
Simply use a couple patches soaked in Hoppies, followed by some wire bore brushes, then more matches soaked in hippies, and then dry patches.
Craig, where did you find the hippies?

Dennis, this should have been posted in the bullet casting section. You have embarked on an adventure loading cast bullets in a revolver, ANY revolver. Possibly the most difficult thing to get right.

First off, bullet "FIT" is the king of the hill for revolver/cast bullet loading. Knowing the diameters of the cylinder throats AND the barrel are the first things to know. You do that by slugging the throats and bore. Use a soft lead ball/slug of over bore size, drive it through the throats and the barrel. Then use a micrometer to measure that slug.

Next, you have to size your bullets to that diameter, or slightly bigger. Most casters go with .001-.002 over what the slug measured. This makes sure the bullet is big enough to seal the bore and grip the rifling.

With revolvers, you must have the bullet fit the throats as well. What often happens is the cylinder throats are undersize compared to the barrel. For instance, .357 throats with a .359 barrel. What happens then is the bullets are sized by the throats, then are undersize when they enter the barrel. In that case, the throats need to be reamed to AT LEAST barrel diameter for the revolver to have any chance to shoot accurately and without leading.

What diameter are the bullets casting at? Lee molds are all over the place as to the diameter they're supposed to cast at and what they actually cast at. Is it this mold?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141...semi-wadcutter

If it's actually dropping at .358, AND your cylinder throats are also .358 and your barrel is .358, then you are extremely lucky. You can lube with lee liquid alox, load them unsized. They'll shoot quite well. If they're dropping at .359-.360, then you can still load as cast,(unsized), the throats will size them, they'll shoot even better.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03690 seconds with 8 queries