View Single Post
Old August 25, 2011, 02:05 AM   #40
Bill Akins

Quote:
Stephanie B wrote:
I hadn't thought about that, but your gun design would be all the rage of the Steampunkers. If you can design it for serial production, you might could make some money from this.
Gosh, I just don't know Stephanie. You might be right but I just don't know. Even though I'd try to design it as uncomplicated and with as few parts as possible, it would still require a lot of machining. So it would no doubt be expensive to produce (although nowhere near the expense of a reproduction Gardner or Gatling gun.) And would the small niche market it attracted, support that endeavor enough to make it financially worthwhile? How many people would actually spend a lot of money for a muzzleloading, tripod mounted, semi-auto or full auto harmonica fed weapon? See what I mean?

You might be correct, but I just don't know. In this depression being a muzzleloader it would be inexpensive to shoot not to mention a hoot of fun. No cartridge cases to buy. Just propellant, projectiles and percussion caps, all of which in a pinch you could make yourself. And it would be unregulated. So it has all that going for it. If I ever do build one it would be with the idea that it was just for my own enjoyment without any intentions of manufacturing it for market. Then if I got enough people asking me to build one for them and they didn't mind the expense it would cost....then maybe.

Right now it's just a (I believe viable) rapid firing muzzleloading design concept I'm enjoying sharing and discussing with y'all here. I've got other unfinished cartridge firearm projects I'm currently involved in so I can't start a new project right now. Maybe later. But I wouldn't mind working as a designer/consultant with someone else who was interested in making them. As long as it didn't eat up too much of my time I need to invest in my other current firearm projects that I'm already behind on.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 25, 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries