View Single Post
Old July 13, 2014, 10:15 AM   #17
wogpotter

Yea I guess. Its all kind of academic now as this happened over the weekend.

OK went to the different gun show in a different area cuz I think I've cleaned out the local one of everything I want.
Backing up a little:
I really like the "Puma" brand knives, & my favorite of the Pumas is the "White Hunter". It has a pretty unique blade design which makes it great camping & general purpose knife. That odd looking shape has an amazing effect on how well a medium sized knife can do things like chopping firewood & slashing through vines & so on.
Then I fond this sweet Damascus blade version so I just couldn't resist.

OK, I'm feeling spendy so I keep looking.

Guess what "just followed me home"
I was literally handing the seller the last $5.00 bill when the Mrs called on the cell, the dealer was telling me she must be telepathic & her first question was:
"What did you do & why am I hearing hysterical laughter in the background"?

My new toy,
a No5Mk1 12/46 Faz dated with matching bolt!
Its a pre 1968 import with just the "ENGLAND" stamp

I'm pretty sure its refinished, the Faz's AFAIK weren't blued, & I'm not sure about the varnish either, but for $345 OTD I'm happy the bore is clear & bright with good rifling & it passes a headspace check. (Closes on the 0.067" NO GO, but not on the 0.074" FIELD). There are a couple of minor (non structural) dings in the wood, one at the toe of the butt & another at the front of the hand-guard as it enters the band.

Anyone ever hear of a s/n like this?
No5 MK1 (F)
12/46 Y
[space] 7818
Its faint but the first character on the number looks like an upper case "Y" then a space & a 4-digit number?
Comments & observations? I haven't torn it down yet, but I'll post more pics when I do in a few days.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Page generated in 0.03537 seconds with 8 queries