View Single Post
Old July 9, 2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
One dealer I know who did the process a few years back mentioned that he'd charge at least $200 to make it worth his time.
That's probably cheap.

The time I tried it (for a handgun, not a rifle),I first had to submit the BATFE's score sheet demonstrating that the firearm satisfied their requirements (basically to show that it's not a "Saturday Night Special"). Then we went to the importation paperwork stage, which was duly submitted. In my case, I had already put down a deposit on the firearm, knowing that it met the import requirements.

However, the BATFE sat on the application right to the bitter end. They have 90 days to act -- on abut the 88th day I was notified that the application had been denied over some technical issue. When I called to ask for clarification, the agent who signed the rejection letter was a woman who spoke with such a heavy Jamaican accent that it was almost impossible to understand her. And she flat out refused to offer any information other than what she had put in the letter ... which wasn't much of anything beyond "No."

By this time, more than six months had elapsed from the start of the process. I notified the seller that the BATFE had rejected the import application and that I would have to try again. He said he didn't want to wait any longer and sold the gun. And I didn't get my deposit back.

I've never been tempted to try again.

Page generated in 0.03757 seconds with 8 queries