View Single Post
Old January 14, 2014, 07:29 PM   #29
armed_librarian

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Quote:
... As I look around... I kinda like the medium weight Ruger Gunsite, except for a couple things... the scout scope concept is lost on me, if the rifle is not set up to run stripper clips... I'm assuming the receiver is still drilled & tapped for a regular scope mount... also seems like there is not a lot of info on the Ruger site... is the magazine proprietary to Ruger, or is it an M1 mag ??? & are there shorter mags ??? my casual shooting is most often off sandbags, & I prefer as close to flush fitting as possible...
Bought one of these about a year ago. It has turned out to be a great little rifle. To answer your questions. The rifle comes with everything needed to mount a scope conventionally. The rear peephole site comes out and a ring attaches in its place. The magazine is proprietary to Ruger. The rifle comes with a steel 10 round mag. Ruger also offers steel 5 and 3 round. There is also a polymer mag option that comes in 10, 5, and 3 rounds and are wider and thus shorter. See attached picture. I'm not positive, but I think that I read the polymers can be filled with a stripper clip.

Just this week I finally mounted a "scout" scope on mine so I cannot comment of the usefulness of the forward mounted optic just yet as I haven't made it to the range. Just messing around with it in the house. It seems like it might make target acquisition a little easier and you can achieve a very wide range of view being able to keep both eyes open.

Last edited by armed_librarian; January 14, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03747 seconds with 8 queries