View Single Post
Old August 12, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
A_McDougal

Real life is not like TV

Last week, left late and stuck in rush-hour traffic (stop-n-go, but mainly the former) where two major highways cross. People like to use the shoulder as a private lane, to get past the bottle neck. Lots of accidents occur when they need to merge back in and can't easily (because they drive up to the very end of the shoulder, to the actual intersection). Lots of fights occur (I guess because sitting in a traffic-jam + the unfairness of trying to cut + feeling that somebody else caused the accident).

So now, a state trooper's vehicle parks on the shoulder for rush-hour. No more bypassing traffic on the shoulder.

I'm barely moving, in condition white, when I see a big pickup truck come flying up the shoulder, jam on the brakes behind the state police vehicle. A huge guy jumps out, charges the police car, and slams his fists on the trunk twice. The trooper's door flies open, he rushes out as the huge guy is charging him...

The trooper gets lifted off his feet and swung around. I see big smiles and realize they are hugging. I can see them talking happily (but can't hear anything).

There was a brief instant where I thought I was surely going to see somebody die violently. I had no adrenaline rush, or any thought to doing anything at all. In complete TV-mode. It took me a few seconds to wake up and be shocked. If the officer had needed help, I would have wasted a lot of valuable time.

Page generated in 0.03353 seconds with 8 queries