View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9
NY Stagehand

I have followed the Firing Line for a long time as a loyal lurker. The service that Al Norris has provided in tracking 2A. cases is priceless. MaxB's latest work and this thread have given me reason to finally join and add to the conversation.

I am a professional Stagehand and work mostly in NYC. I do a fair amount of film work as well in particular as an Arms Master aka "Gun Guy." I want to point out that this requested exemption is coming from the film industry's "suits." The rank and file film people (behind the camera!) don't want the Safe Act OR any exemptions. I sure don't! I want it to hurt MY industry enough that they start fighting the WHOLE thing. There is already a problem with NYC granting "We Love You" carry permits to big names in the film industry. It is done exactly and only to curry political favor. The rest of the industry resents the two tier system as much as the rest of us.

Imagine, you are loading a SWAT teams worth of "guns" into a locked box and wheeling it down the block and around the corner to a rental van at 4 a.m. and two guys appear out of nowhere. They demand that you just leave the box and walk away or they will shoot you with their very real gun. They don't know they are props and require a lot of milling or parts replacement to be functional but they are willing to mess you up for the perceived gain. I know a few guys who faced just this scenario. Even under the standards of "demonstrated need" in NYC, you can't get a permit or extend your upstate permit to NYC. Oh and just for fun, You can't wear ballistic armor AND carry a handgun as a citizen here...

Informationally, cast plastic guns are the standard for extras. Some shots require what are called "hero props" that are most often modified REAL weapons. Some are blank firing, others are full function actions that will not fire (think shortened pins and blocked channels) Some of these weapons are much more expensive than the original base model before modification. They are rendered "idiot proof" ( make your own jokes about my on screen co-workers! Some of them are on OUR side!) so that nobody can be hurt even by being "The Crow" stupid!!!

Airsofts are okay for low budget films but most of the usable ones are approaching the cost of real guns (and they are illegal in NYC... just like a 17 oz. soda in a cafe...

If any body has any questions on the "Hollywood" end of guns I'll try to help.

Page generated in 0.01998 seconds with 8 queries