View Single Post
Old May 25, 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

This was more IPSC/USPSA like than IDPA. There was a serious lack of cover, the positioning/number of mag holders, and some procedural stuff that is not permitted in IDPA (reloading on the move, dropping mags with ammo still in them on first glance).

IDPA is generally not as mobile or active as those matches. Don't get me wrong, there is movement but it's generally not running side to side in the wide open like those videos.

I wouldn't call either sport tactical training, I would call it good training as far as drawing, shooting, reloading, and clearing malfunctions under a timer. It's a lot harder than it looks and there are a lot of things re: competition shooting that are not intuitive.

The best training I think you can do is practice drawing from a holster, double taps, and reloading. You can draw and work on reloads at home. Double taps come after you have good basic control over your gun.

You can buy a decent shot timer and set up targets in different arrangements for "practice" but the best practice you'll get is to go shoot a match. Shooting while on the move and using cover appropriately are keys to IDPA.

Both sports are a lot of fun and develop different skills. With IDPA you can use any stock handgun or revolver, a lot of customizations are not legal. In IPSC/USPSA you can also use stock handguns in Production or a couple of other classes and still be competitive. Space guns are not necessary, but they are awesome...if only I didn't have more important stuff to spend my money on at the moment.

Look at both organization's websites, find out where your local matches are, bring 100-200 rounds of ammo along with all necessary gear and go for your first "practice" match. Be careful though, this is a lot of fun and very addicting.

Page generated in 0.02751 seconds with 8 queries