Thread: BP for HD?
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2009, 09:10 PM   #14
Raider2000

Mykeal & Smokin_Gun both know my thoughts on this subject & I respect both of their opinions but here is mine again to you.

Yes you can use a C&B Revolver as a S/D H/D weapon, I do so my self but there are a few things to think of before you do make that decision.

(1) Smokin_Gun touched a little on this, Know your Gun!
Any weapon intended to be used as a S/D H/D weapon, the person should not only practice with it on a normal basis to be proficient with it but also know it's limitations, how to load it for the best reliability, & to maintain it resonably for that reliability.

(2) Have a good location to keep it in!
Keeping a gun in a holster next to the bed is not the best ideas, now if you used a secure box or something that can be accessed easily but secure would be a better option.

(3) Only load 5 Shots!
Any C&B revolver no matter which one you have has no real safety by comparison to todays firearms so keeping the hammer on an empty chamber while in your house is just a safty suggestion, if you need more than 5 shots to get rid of some B/G then you ned more than a pistol son because you are in a WAR.

Now keeping a C&B Revolver loaded for an extended time isn't that big of a deal, I've once kept my Pietta 1860 Army loaded for nearly a year because I didn't have time to go the the range & even once had it in the rain while checking traps during that time but when I did take to the range she fired reliably & with just as much punch as though I had loaded it that day, it's just in knowing how to load them for reliability in all weather.
Trust me, even though story books state that J.B. Hickcock shot his 51' Navies off each day, I'm willing to bet he didn't really do it every day & back then those boys knew their weapons as another part of them selves & kept them loaded more than shot them.

A 142gr. Ball is a formidable projectile against a man especially under the normal distances you'd encounter in a H/D situation but the great thing is that they do loose a lot of energy really quick so if you hit a wall the possibility of an inocent getting hurt on the other side is less.

Now if any one want's I'll look for my loading procedure that I use that keeps my Muzzle Loaders just as weather resistant as a modern cartridge firearm, I've posted it in here as well as othr forums before..

Last edited by Raider2000; November 2, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.02800 seconds with 8 queries