View Single Post
Old October 26, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Martyn4802

I have two of the EOTech holo shights, a model 512 and a 552. Both are powered by AA batteries. They make models that are powered by N cells, which are smaller and may not last as long as the AA batteries. The 552 is the one used by the military for the main battle rifles.
It is larger than the 512, and appropriate for a rifle like the AR 15. I have the 512 mounted on a light Ruger 10-22 that is tricked out; a perfect combo.
The EOTech sights are a true holo sight that are virtually parallax free from 22 yards to infinity, and the EOTech's are the only Holo sight made. All others are red dot sights that do have parallax, some more than others. I think the Aimpoint red dot sight has less parallax associated with it than the other makes.
The following is from a friend who knows these kinds of sights:

"The Holographic sights are a completely different technology than Red Dot sights. The Holographic sights (EOTech only- there are no other manufacturers of Holographic Sights) use a laser diode to shine a diffuse beam on a 3D image recorded in the rear window of the sight. This creates an image with depth, so the reticle stays focused at infinity and stays in focus with the target plane at all times. All other red dot sights simply reflect an LED diode off a curved, partially mirrored surface. Red Dot sights are NOT Parallax free despite what their manufacturers claim. Aimpoint claims the sights are parallax free, yet they have considerably more parallax than the EOTech holographic sights. All other manufacturers of Red Dot sights have a great deal more parallax than Aimpoint."

Cost of these units is somewhere between $330 and $400.

Martyn

Page generated in 0.02201 seconds with 8 queries