View Single Post
Old July 29, 2013, 02:26 PM   #18
745SW

“People (not me, but lots of people) will pay $2-3K for one of the name shop's "custom" 1911A1s, and think it worth it.”

From what I hear of vendors at the various shows some do own custom 1911’s but I think it’s in the very low single digit percentage. The 1911 has much going for it such as the grip will fit virtually anyone from small to large hands with only a change in trigger. Can’t say that of the 44 AutoMag, my finger won’t get anywhere near the trigger. Many moons ago handled it at a nearby familiar shop, about $1000 used, I think around the year 1997.

I feel Ruger’s investment casting will not be cost effective for the AutoMag. Like automobile body panels of stamped sheet metal, the initial costs are high, volume is needed to justify this process. Notice limited production automobiles such as limousines, hearse, sports cars and racecars use fiberglass. Per unit cost are high but no high initial investment to recover.

Times have changed from about the early nineties, its said 89% of the shops are gone in my state.

Page generated in 0.03429 seconds with 8 queries