View Single Post
Old September 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The trouble I find with the restrictions on things like bullet weight, caliber, cartridge length, kinetic energy and what not is that they are almost always unenforceable and arbitrary.

For example, New York law specifies that all archery equipment used for big game hunting must have a draw weight of at least 35 pounds.
No mention of compound versus recurve or longbow. No mention of arrow weight. No mention of kinetic energy. No maximum broadhead size for that draw weight.
A 35lb longbow would be lucky to generate 20 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. A 35lb 2012 PSE Supra would probably generate 40 ft/lbs KE. Both are "35 pound draw" but they are not equal.
Either of those bows shooting a 2" broadhead would be much worse than shooting one at 7/8"

Take it to rifles. They set a minimum diameter or a minimum bullet weight. Who's going to weigh the bullets? Is a 16" 357mag carbine loaded with powder puff SWC rounds better than a 24" 223 loaded to max charges with Barnes TTSX? Regardless, who's going to be verifying it?

In NY, where rifles are allowed, there is no caliber or cartridge limit at all. Only "center-fire rifle". I could use a 19Calhoun or a 17Rem but I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Sometimes you just can't legislate against the lowest common denominator.

Page generated in 0.02375 seconds with 8 queries