View Single Post
Old September 5, 2014, 10:44 AM   #90
BobCat45

Wyosmith, I owe you an answer but have found the exchange between OuTcAsT and Madcap_Magician to be informative and though-provoking and didn't wish to distract.

You are right, the King's men killed a lot of subjects and the police kill - rightfully or wrongfully - people every day. Randy Weaver and the Branch-whatevers were not unique, stuff happens.

I'm on both sides of this argument because I know police officers who I trust completely, who I'm honored to hang around with at the Highpower matches. I want them to have whatever hardware they need to keep them safe while they do their jobs. But I grew up in a place where the police were primarily blue-suited enforcers owned by the corrupt power structure. It was healthier to stay low, out of sight and beneath their notice, and too quiet to hear, than to speak up / stand up for what was right.

This sounds craven (even to me!) but it is the way it was, and the way it still is in a lot of instances.

Note that Patrick Henry, in the speech you alluded to, appealed to "Freedom" - but the Revolution was about taxes and essentially about the crown taking too much and giving nothing of value in return. It was about money. People don't take up arms for abstract ideals, they go to war to keep their "way of life" which means their livelihood - or to keep from being exterminated. Or, sometimes, to try to exterminate those who at one time "did them wrong" and who are now less powerful than they once were.

Until and unless the "long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism" becomes clear to the populace at large, and is perceived by sufficient numbers as an actual menace, we will go along to get along, keep our heads down and try to stay out of trouble.

I'll shut up now - if I go on I'll wind up banned from the site, and I kind of like hanging around with y'all so I don't want that to happen.

Page generated in 0.02379 seconds with 8 queries