View Single Post
Old June 12, 2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Hunter Customs

Quote:
I can't find what the FBI says about Cerakote... just Googling it at least...

Do they think it's the best or do they say it sucked?
I don't think the FBI would rate Cerakote as the best option for a finish seeing that it ruined one of their sniper rifles.

I heard that HS Precision was not to happy either as they were the ones that built the rifle and warned the FBI as to what would happen if they used the paint.

The way I got it is, that Cerakote has ceramic particles in the paint, as the paint wears off the ceramic particles cuts the metal they are in contact with, much like using a coarse lapping compound.
The FBI sniper rifle had both the bolt lugs and recess in the receiver cut by the ceramic particles.
Now I was not there when the testing on different finishes was done by the FBI, so the above information I received second hand.

Now do not confuse the use of a ceramic coating such as DLC with ceramic paint, they are two different things altogether.
DLC bonds with the metal and gives a very hard coating I believe around 98 on a Rockwell C scale.
For a dark finish it's a good choice, if you don't mind a silver finish hardchrome is a very good choice it will have a Rockwell C rating of around 72.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Page generated in 0.04918 seconds with 8 queries