View Single Post
Old February 11, 2012, 11:39 PM   #27
Doug S

I think the OP's comments were good food for thought, but I'm not so sure about all of the comments from others stating "that I don't keep a gun next to the bed because I might grab it and shoot". Talk about a perfect world...expecting the bad guy to always provide you time to get to your gun, and cycle the first round...just not so sure the world is always that perfect. I mean there is such a thing as self-control, isn't there? Just because a gun is close to the bed, and loaded, doesn't mean that someone has to jump up, grab it, and start shooting blindly when they hear a bump in the night. I would hope most people are wise enough to do as the OP, and identify the target. Now those with sleeping disorders, and vivid nightmares, may be a different situation, but barring that sort of thing, I pray the Lord, protects me from making such a mistake, but I also hope most people are smart enough to hesitate just long enough to ascertain what is going on before they start shooting. As a point of reference, I live about a mile away from where a famous shooting tool place 40 something years ago. A wealthy family (local political figure) that lived in a nice fortified house, were killed in their beds by a group of hired thugs who managed to get into the house without waking any of them before they were in their bedrooms.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; February 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries