View Single Post
Old May 27, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
tas237

Department of Public Safety - Denial

Hello all. I just joined today becasue I enjoyed reading these forums and I have a topic that I could use some advice on. I know there are threads regarding similiar situations but I am very frustrated.

I am a registered handgun and long gun owner in Nevada. I have several handguns and many long guns.

Last month I purchsed a Springfield Armory XD-9 and received a "proceed without delay" when the background check was conducted... waited the 3 mandatory days and picked up the pistol.

Recently, I have decided to start refinishing some older beat up guns that I would purchase through online auctions (rebluing,parkerizing, custom homemade grips, etc.). I won an auction for a Beretta 92f for under $300. It was in good overall condition with a few scratches on the slide and frame (nothing I can't repair). I paid for the firearm which was shipped to an FFL nearby (where the local range is).

When the pistol arrived I went down to pick up the gun. I showed them my prior registration card which is "supposed" to circumvent the 3 day waiting period. After they submitted all the info and made the request through th NV Dept of Public Safety and the NICS it came back delayed and I was told by the FFL that I could pick the gun up in 4 days. I was frustrated here with only a 4 day wait ahead.

This morning, I received a call from the FFL informing me that the Department of Public Safety had contacted them and told them to DENY my request.

Now I have to fax them a request to obtain information on why the request was denied and that I would receive the info from them in a letter format within 5 WORKING DAYS! After that I can appeal the reasoning which can include several ridiculous steps like having to get fingerprinted and appealing errant criminal records in the FBI database. I was also told it could be something as simple as an unpaid traffic ticket!

Has anyone else had to go through this much non-sense when purchasing a firearm?

I understand the need for backgroung checks but when someone passed with flying colors a month prior and is now denied... well that just seems silly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Page generated in 0.03081 seconds with 8 queries