View Single Post
Old August 6, 2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Guyon

Brand New to Blackpowder...

Well, I took the leap. Bass Pro had their big annual hunting sale, and I got a wild hair and bought a smokepole. Let me start by saying I'm a muzzleloading beginner.

I didn't go whole hog and get a Knight, TC, or Savage. I'm just easing into this whole blackpowder scene so I started off a little lower on the pecking order (and price range). I bought a CVA MagBolt (the 150/26). They apparently added 2 inches to the barrel of their MagBolt this year, so it's a "NEW" model.

I also got a starter kit (came with patches, solvent, plug grease, speed loaders, bore brush, breech brushes, bullet starter, starter attachments, nipple/breech plug pick, some Powerbelt bullets, and a video). I also bought some Pyrodex pellets, primers, bases and rings. I hope to find a scope this weekend.

Any tips on working up a good load? Right now, I just have the pellets in 50 grain increments. But I'll likely get some Pyrodex (maybe even blackpowder) and play around with loads.

Also, what about bullets? Any recommendations for accuracy?

I should add that I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to muzzleloading, and I am really aiming for the most accurate and humane shot for whitetail deer.

Finally, what about other accessories I can't live without? Suggestions?

Page generated in 0.03519 seconds with 8 queries