View Single Post
Old May 29, 2011, 04:20 PM   #5
kraigwy

Quote:
Of the vets I know who were around when the U.S. Army switched from the M14 to the M16, I don't know too many who were happy about the new M16 rifle.
You met one now. I was there during the switch over, and was quite happy with the M16A1. I was trained with the M14, used one in training and when I was in the 82nd. Went to the M16a1 when I was with the 101st in Vietnam. I was quite impressed. It was every bit as reliable, plenty accurate to 300 yards (remember this was a jungle enviorment, not much shooting beyond that). It was lighter as was the ammo. We increased our basic load from 240 to 460 rounds. Also, in trails the M16 as a sniper system got confirmed kills to 700 yards.

I do like the sights better on the M14 vs the 'A1. That was taken care of with the A2. When I came home I started shooting for the NG using the NM M14/M1A. It worked quite well to 1000 yards. I also went to sniper school and taught sniper schools using the M-21. Again I was impressed.

I've done some pretty good shooting to 1000 and resisted the ARs for High Power & Long Range shooting. With the introduction of heavier bullets, the ARs have proven they could hold their own. In fact they've beaten the scores set by the M14s in Service Rifle Matches.

All that being said, the M-14s have their place, but its a stop gap between the AR SDMR and M24 Sniper Rifles (in 300 WM).

In reality I'd rather see the funds spent on training the average sholdier to shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.04861 seconds with 9 queries