View Single Post
Old March 29, 2002, 11:55 PM   #3
ms1200

trim length for the .300 win mag. is 2.610 max is 2.620. which is right? as long as you are not over max you will be alright. keep in mind though that cases will grow from fireing and 2.610 will mean trimming less often. best accuracy is often acheived by seating the bullet out closer to the lands in your rifle. a good tool to do this with is the stoneypoint oal gauge.this tool will measure your chamber from the base of cartridge to where the bullet ogive contacts the lands. to do this you will need the oal gauge,a stoney point modified case that scews onto the oal gauge,and their bullet comparater with proper calibre incert. you need to take a measurement for each different bullet you use as they are all constructed differently. you do not want the loaded round to contact the lands. i start at .020 off the lands and work it out slowly untill i find the sweet spot. your magazine may limit how far out you can seat.......my particular rifle is at its best with 180-200gr. bullets & H4831. you will find that many rifles have a preferance to what you feed them. a good load in 1 might not shoot good in another. for me the searth for the perfect load is half the fun............as for measurements being "close enough" the more uniform you can make each and every round the better your ammo will be...........wishing you safe and good shooting

Page generated in 0.02912 seconds with 8 queries