View Single Post
Old January 10, 2010, 11:52 PM   #35
semi_problomatic

couple tips....

For a good scent blocker suit, go to army/navy surplus store and get a chemical suit, you can usually get one for 40 or so bucks and they work, also they're already camo so its a double win. Just store them in the garage away from chemicals in a plastic bag when you're done, don't wash or you'll get charcoal all over the place. Remember that your scent comes mainly from your crotch and armpits, not your feet. It floats in the air then settles after you've already moved off. Rubbing yourself with a native plant (IE pine needles or mint) works well, just make sure its not poisen ivy or oak or some other noxious plant. Also smoke works remarkably well, just not cigerette smoke. Also don't smoke or dip in the tree, and take a big gatoraide bottle to **** in.

Baiting... usually illegal, highly immoral...but... Don't put it on trails... wouldn't you be suspicious finding a half eaten apple pie in the middle of your halway? Peanut butter ALWAYS works. But animals have to find it, become comfortable with it, and then come to eat it. They're not going to smell it in a day. Calls work better because they cover more area, but that takes some expertise, not something you'll aquire in a day. But animals are curious creatures and often they will creep up to investigate strange noises. I've watched deer waunder up on some crazy things, even sleeping hunters.

If its in Rut try some of those doe urine/scents. People have done really well tying a rag with 6 or so feet of cord and spraying the scent on that and dragging it behind them to the stand/tree.

DON'T try stalking. You'll be more likely to scare anything away than you would sneaking up on a deer. It'd be like a blind person wearing a leaf suit trying to sneak up on you in walmart. You arn't a woodsman (most people arn't) and you don't know what you're doing (no offense) besides you wouldn't know what to look for and you might end up at best ******* off other hunters or at worst, getting mistaken for a deer and end up shot because someone jumped the gun, didn't see you and shot at your rustling footsteps....

Know the range of your gun. Buckshot isn't exactly a long range round.... Don't shoot unless the deer is 50 or so yards away, if you don't know what 50 yards looks like measure it off before hand and practice judging the distance. Cause if you've never hunted I'm sure you can't follow a blood trail and there's nothing worse than wounding an animal and it suffering for god knows how long before finally dying.

Stay quiet and move slowly. I mean crazy slowly. Scan with your eyes before moving your head. One foot at a time, slightly crouched, one foot in front of the other, balancing and completely putting the weight from one foot down before picking the other foot up. Its slow, painful, and extremely hard to do, but it'll keep you from crashing through the bush and scaring everything away.

Shot placement. Shoot for the vitals. You've seen the deer targets, Aim there. Don't shoot unless you have a clear shot, broadside of the deer to ensure you hit something worth hitting and the deer dies.

Enjoy yourself

Page generated in 0.02559 seconds with 8 queries