View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
jmr40

The most basic thing right now is the DPMS being sold at Walmart for around $580ish. They don't come with sights, but if you're mounting optics it doesn't matter. Both front and rear sights can be purchsed if you want. Stag makes a left handed AR, but I wouldn't bother. The AR platform works pretty well from either side.

I think you'll find either a red dot or low powered 1-4X scope is prefered over irons by most anyway. I have 4 AR's set up differently. One just with irons, one with a red dot, one with a 1-4X scope, and one for longer range work with 2-8X scope. All have front sights with a flip up rear sight that fits under, or behind the optic. If I had to pick only one it would be my Palmeto State Armory with a 1-4 with a flip up rear sight.

There are several good choices in the $700-$800 range. The S&W has become the default recommendation. I don't own one, but have heard too many good things to not recommend them. I do own Palmeto State Armory, Stag and Rock River. I'd recommend any of them. I also own a DPMS. It is a notch below the others. It serves it's purpose and would probably do anything I need doing, but it would be the last of the 4 I'd reach for. Not that it is a bad gun, but the others have more rugged internal parts and should be more reliable.

There are seveal others that are pretty good including Windham. Bushmaster and Sig make good guns and there is always Colt. Lots of guys will tell you that the Colt is only $300 or so more than the others and well worth the difference. Maybe, maybe not. The point is for under $800 you can get a very good AR. You will have to just look and see what is available locally. I like the PSA best, but your LGS may carry something else that may prove just as good for you. As said earlier the S&W has a loyal following, but you may find them sold out. AR's are selling like hotcakes right now and stores cannot always keep them in stock.

If you can get some of the Magpul magazines they seem to be the best made right now. They are a bit more expensive at $15-$20 depending on the source, but I'd buy a few. If you shop around and buy in bulk ( go in with a few friends), you can buy good metal mags for as little as $10 each. This is a good source.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar15m16.html

I actually prefer the 20 round mags. They don't stick out as far and don't get in the way. Good luck!

Page generated in 0.02560 seconds with 8 queries