View Single Post
Old September 1, 2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

There aren't many practical situations most of us would use stuff like this in, I see the value for military training, possibly police or SWAT training, but not so sure in the civilian world. In extreme TEOTWAWKI events I could see this but in depth discussion of that would get this thread locked pretty fast.

Let me add that this (and other elaborate stages) was done in the safest possible manner, the people at Thunder Gun Range in Conroe took the greatest pains to ensure that these elaborate scenarios were safe and a lot of fun. The match director and safety officers emphasized safety, procedure, and fun. It was my first regional match and a huge success from my observations of the shooters despite it being a pretty hot day with a hurricane brewing 500 or so miles away.

From a pure shooting perspective this exercise emphasized my greatest weakness which is balance and maintaining upper body positive positioning in shooting from awkward positions. Shooting sitting and even laying down is a lot easier for me than shooting sitting and leaning sideways...it's in the same category as shooting while kneeling and making appropriate use of low cover.

I'm 6'5" 320 pounds, trying to appropriately use low cover as I would in a "real situation" is pretty awkward as most low cover seems to be about 3 feet high. Same applies here as I was actually trying to conceal as much of my upper body as I could.

It was an interesting exercise. I'm not sure that a self defense course would be an appropriate venue for this skill but if you have the space and personnel to maintain a safe controlled environment it was a learning experience for most of us.

Page generated in 0.02500 seconds with 8 queries