Thread: .303 bullets?
View Single Post
Old April 9, 2005, 08:05 PM   #12

The Lee Loader is no harder to screw up than anything else. You measure and dispense powder using a scoop. A chart comes with the loader that gives you loads that are safe for the cartridge you are loading using the scoop provided. If you decide to do something different and get hurt doing it, it is your fault and not the Lee Loaders fault.
Just as an example. This is not a real load, just an example.
Let's say you are loading for the .38 Special and the chart says that a good safe load is a scoop of Unique powder. If you say, all I have is Red Dot powder, so I am going to use a scoop of that instead, you are asking for trouble. The Lee Loader didn't do it, you did.
This is no different from loading using any other reloading equipment ever made. If you can't follow directions.... if you think you know more than the manufacturer..... if you think they said "X" but "Y" is close enough: you shouldn't be loading ammunition and it is nobodies fault but yours.

By the way. I sat down one day with a friend who wanted to use a Lee Loader to load .30-06. I showed him how it worked and just out of curiosity I decided to scoop 50 charges of powder and weigh each of them on a digital scale to see how accurate a scoop measure is. The scoop, with me using it, was MORE accurate than the charges thrown by either my RCBS powder meaure, my Lyman powder measure, or the powder measures used on my Dillon 550s.

I could go on with the virtues of the Lee Loader and I have in numerous other threads. But, I have learned over the years that on the internet, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. You will either spend the $20 or not.

I own a lot of reloading gear and have been handloading for over 20 years. I recently moved and had two of my shooting buddies help me. One was overheard telling someone else: "Yeah we helped him move, he had seven metric tons of reloading equipment and componenets". I have four reloading presses set up right now: two Dillon 550s, an RCBS Rockchucker, and a Lyman T-Mag II turret press. That being said, if I was starting over with nothing, knowing what I know now, I would start over in exactly the same way I actually did start: with a Lee Loader. I own several Lee Loaders right now and will use one within the next week to load the .303 British cartridges I expended today at a match.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03119 seconds with 8 queries