View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Sticky extraction...again. Does this qualify?

A while back I asked what exactly qualified as sticky extraction. This related to shooting hottish loads from a Ruger Redhawk in .44Mag.

One very useful answer came from a member who said something along the lines of "if you need a hammer to extract the cases, that is sticky extraction." Turns out he was not kidding: others concurred that this was what qualified as sticky extraction as a warning sign of over-pressure in .44Mag; a cartridge with lots of oomph and PSI.

Today, I shot 50 .38Spl from my new to me Astra 2" snub.
Using both LEE die and Lapua reloading data for 125gr plated bullets, I loaded used .38 cases with Fiocchi SP primers, a H&N 125gr plated truncated cone bullet and about 6.2gr of N350 (+/- 0.1gr using a dipper).
The crimp was a little over half a turn on a Lee FCD. OAL was 36.5mm as per the Lapua data.

There were a few granules of unburnt powder. This may because of barrel length and that N350 is relatively slow burning.

Min/max charges for the listed Rainier FN bullet is 5.9gr-6.9gr.

FPS showed about 600.

So by no means a powerful round.
I tried it out of my older Astra (with the bulged barrel: hence a good guinea pig) and then my newer one.
In the older the cases slipped out with little assistance. In the newer one however, there was some stiction. Not masses, but I had to press more than to just compress the ejector rod return spring. I've not needed to do that before even on 158gr FMJ factory loads.

Is there anything to worry about there?
I only ask because it breaks with the norm, not because the round felt particularly powerful.

Page generated in 0.02796 seconds with 8 queries